Both battles resulted in victories for the Swedish-led side.On 24 December 1701, an oil-fueled street lighting system was introduced.Leipzig was first documented in 1015 in the chronicles of Bishop Thietmar of Merseburg as 'urbs Libzi' (Chronikon VII, 25) and endowed with city and market privileges in 1165 by Otto the Rich.Leipzig Trade Fair, started in the Middle Ages, became an event of international importance and is the oldest remaining trade fair in the world.
Daily production surpassed 5 million kilograms of yarn.The city's mayor from 1930 to 1937, Carl Friedrich Goerdeler was a noted opponent of the Nazi regime in Germany. singletreff Mülheim an der Ruhr He resigned in 1937 when, in his absence, his Nazi deputy ordered the destruction of the city's statue of Felix Mendelssohn.Leipzig expanded rapidly to more than 700.000 inhabitants.Huge Gründerzeit areas were built, which mostly survived both war and post-war demolition.
Since 1989 Leipzig is informally dubbed "Hero City" (Heldenstadt), in recognition of the role that the Monday demonstrations there played in the fall of the East German regime – the formulation alludes to the honorary title awarded in the former Soviet Union to certain cities that played a key role in the victory of the Allies during the Second World War.More recently, the city is sometimes nicknamed "Boomtown of eastern Germany", "Hypezig" or "The better Berlin" for being celebrated by the media as a hip urban centre for the vital lifestyle and creative scene with many startups.There are records of commercial fishing operations on the River Pleisse in Leipzig dating back to 1305, when the Margrave Dietrich the Younger granted the fishing rights to the church and convent of St. There were a number of monasteries in and around the city, including a Benedectine monastery after which the Barfußgäßchen (Barefoot Alley) is named and a monastery of Irish monks (Jacobskirche, destroyed in 744) near the present day Ranstädter Steinweg (old Via Regia).The foundation of the University of Leipzig in 1409 initiated the city's development into a centre of German law and the publishing industry, and towards being the location of the Reichsgericht (Imperial Court of Justice) and the German National Library (founded in 1912).During the Thirty Years' War, two battles took place in Breitenfeld, about 8 kilometres (5 mi) outside Leipzig city walls.
The first Battle of Breitenfeld took place in 1631 and the second in 1642.
Monument to the Battle of the Nations at night, Federal Administrative Court of Germany, New Town Hall, City-Hochhaus Leipzig and the Augusteum of the Leipzig University, inside Gondwanaland of Leipzig Zoological Garden Leipzig is located about 160 kilometres (99 mi) southwest of Berlin at the confluence of the White Elster, Pleisse, and Parthe rivers at the southern end of the North German Plain.
Leipzig has been a trade city since at least the time of the Holy Roman Empire.
A terminus of the first German long distance railway to Dresden (the capital of Saxony) in 1839, Leipzig became a hub of Central European railway traffic, with Leipzig Hauptbahnhof the largest terminal station by area in Europe.
The railway station has two grand entrance halls, the eastern one for the Royal Saxon State Railways and the western one for the Prussian state railways.